Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dead But Alive |The Worshipper's Thought of the Day

Last week was the fiftieth year anniversary of the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy, one of the most endearing and unforgettable elected officials in the history of this country.  I heard an interview with his daughter Caroline, during which she made a statement that really caught my attention:
"All my life I've had people tell me that my father changed their lives."
WOW!  Now that's a testimony right there.  How awesome would it be to be constantly reminded of your loved one's impact on the lives of others, even DECADES after their death?  Several things came to mind as I pondered this quote.  A life spent serving your GOD-given gift to the world not only leaves an enduring legacy in the Earth realm following your death, but it also suggests that you're still alive when people can talk about the enduring impact you made long after your physical presence has gone.

I don't know: maybe I'm just easily excitable.  But to me, living is about leaving.  If we adopt the kind of mindset that fools us into believing that we have tons of time to get it together or--even worse--that we'll live forever, then we'll never be motivated to live impactfully on purpose.  Moses prayed, "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalm 90:12).  Applying our hearts unto wisdom is done on purpose, not by accident.  Realizing that our days are numbered should inspire us to aspire to more purposeful living.  In order to leave the kind of footprints that impact generations of people, we must live in the perpetual awareness that each print has meaning and each step will be traced.

It is my desire to live out my purpose so effectively that I literally die empty.  I want to have nothing more of myself to offer on my dying day.  I pray that the work GOD allows me to do will be so impactful to others that, long after I've transitioned, it seems like I never left here because of the relevance of my life's legacy.  This would be the ultimate testimony that my life wasn't just confined to a period of years spent breathing, eating and sleeping.  It would attest to my belief in a GOD vision that was much bigger than me but required all of me--my whole life--to be poured out as an offering.  Not just any offering, though; but one that means something.

1 comment:

  1. E, this is some super hot stuff! God desired that we live at certain times in history to make certain God-centered investments to mankind. As such, our purpose, empowered by our giftings and callings support these individual investments for humanity. We must remain aligned with God to ensure that our humanity investments for our prescribed life period be manifested fully. Great blog post brotha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.