Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Familiarity Breeds Contempt (Part 1) | The Worshipper's Thought of the Day

Anyone who knows me knows that I love quotes, phrases and cliches because it's interesting learning the origins behind them.  This week, one in particular came to mind as I was pondering how people who operate in their area of gifting are treated by those who know them well: "Familiarity breeds contempt."  Oddly enough, I immediately realized that the Holy Spirit was trying to communicate something to me because, even though I've heard this phrase used numerous times, I never really used it (mostly because I didn't have a full understanding of its meaning).  In researching "familiarity breeds contempt," I learned that it has its origins in one of Aesop's Fables, entitled "The Fox and the Lion."  (Of an interesting sidenote, since this is Black History Month, you might be surprised to know that the world renown Aesop was actually a black man of Ethiopian origin.)

Now, the thought that was initially communicated to me during the week was this: "Don't become so familiar with someone's personality that you become too familiar with their area of gifting."  It was after hearing this that I heard, "Familiarity breeds contempt."  So, I immediately went to the online dictionary to define "contempt."  (Even though I had an understanding of its meaning, my "love of words" NEVER relies solely upon my own understanding of a word.)  To my surprise, the main definition of "contempt" is the act of despising.  And I say, "to my surprise," because I quickly remembered hearing Dr. Myles Munroe teach a while back that to despise is not just to hate, but rather--in many cases--to ignore.  In keeping with the context of my original thought, I then realized that we can become so familiar with those around us that we ignore what's been placed inside of them.  Therefore, as they pursue purpose, experience success and are elevated, we say silly things like, "I never knew ALL OF THAT was inside of them."  That's because familiarity with someone's personality blinds us to the greatness that was lying within them all the time.

I can't help but to think of myself here, so allow me to become a little transparent.  I grew up EXTREMELY shy and spent my entire childhood plagued with SEVERE stage fright.  My youth was spent dodging ANYTHING that required the use of a microphone or being onstage where all eyes would be on me.  Of course, anyone who has met me within the past 12 years would probably find that hard to believe.  However, those who knew me as a child marvel today when I minister because who they see now is starkly different from who they saw then.  Why?  Because they only knew my personality.  The amazing thing, though, is that my parents knew the musical gifting in me as a child and can even tell stories recounting instances in which they saw small glimpses of the greatness that what was already inside of me.  Their biggest challenge was figuring out how to nurture my gift because they didn't consider themselves to be musically inclined people.  Ironically, it was them consistently keeping me in church that, over all those years, nurtured a love for GOD's presence, which connected with the musical gifting that I came here with at birth.  (Sidenote: Parents, your children will never know who they are outside of GOD's presence.  So don't make excuses for them to not be at church when they should be there.)

CHECK OUT PART 2 FOR THE CONCLUSION...

1 comment:

  1. Great topic Elton. I remember sharing something like this with someone some years back. Everyone had been blessed with gifts by the Almighty. Yes, our relatives, friends, co-workers, even enemies. None of us (only God actually) knows the fullest extent of who we are. But since God is their designer, we must accept and acknowledge that whatever it is in them--it is glimpses of God's dream for them. All the giftings, talents, small pics of performance that slowly peek out at certain moments in their lives is the nature of God through their personality being exhibited. Saved or lost they still were created in His image and have His likeness. That image and likeness can only produce greatness. That's the problem with being lost. You gifted, but have the wrong mentor (leadership) guiding you in that gifting. It's void of the manifest anointing which only comes via relationship with Him. Man look, I better stop and go on to the next post. You know how I do with this WORD. It's Wordtime brotha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.