Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hello Fear, My Name Is... | The Worshipper's Thought of the Day

This blog post is taken from a conversation with my friend and brother, Gary ("Mr. G. Lee" himself...LOL!), on Facebook last night.  (Side Note: It's his fault I didn't finish "Silencing the Critics--Part 2."  So for those of you who were looking for the next installment, blame him.  LOL!!!  I'm sooo joking...Gary's a great guy, so y'all can leave him be.)  I felt compelled, though, to share this on the blog because the Holy Spirit literally gave me this on the spot.  I've NEVER BEFORE had to explain what you will read below, so I give GOD the glory for guiding my thoughts, words and fingers (as I speedily pulled scriptures off my copy of E-Sword).

Gary Lee Jonez
...I've been in PLENTY of scenarios where I've depended on the Lord but the suspense of trusting the Lord when ur hanging by a thread can feel like so much!!!  It was easier to just stay... in the boat if ya know what I mean.  Even Peter, who took a leap of faith and went out and did what many were afraid to do (WALKING ON WATER!!!).... still felt uneasy as he walked to Jesus.  He began to sank when he lost focus but thankfully Jesus caught Him just in time.  If walking by faith meant u never feel uneasy about decision I suppose everybody would be walking by faith.  I still wonder is there such a place in the Lord where literally all fear subsides in faith?  The scripture says perfect love casts out all fear right?  I'm wondering what that really means?  Is "fear" merely unbelief?  Would it be inclusive of the emotional/psychological kinds of fear?  Is trust always believing while afraid, or is trust something we do to not be afraid?.... More thoughts plz...lol

Elton Taylor
It's very interesting that you bring up "the water walking incident"...  This is the PERFECT example of that place in the LORD you alluded to where literally all fear subsides in faith.  Both Peter and Jesus were walking on THE SAME WATER, but that same water RESPONDED differently to them both.  Why?  Because Jesus was not fearful, whereas Peter was.  Let's look at the verse you quoted (I John 4:18).  As a matter of fact, we'll look at vs 16-18 to get the full effect:

Gary Lee Jonez ‎
**Sits in Indian style**

Elton Taylor
"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love."
(1 John 4:16-18)

First, we see that GOD dwells in those who dwell in love because He is love.  Secondly, [we see] the fact that GOD dwells in those persons makes love perfect.  Thirdly, the purpose for which love is made perfect--in its most general sense--is that we may have boldnessThis is why perfect (or complete) love casts out fear.  Now my pastor has an acronym for "FEAR" that I like to use: False Evidence Appearing Real.  The boldness that comes with love in its most complete state (ie GOD dwelling in you) is what casts out the torment of fear, thereby causing the environment to respond differently to you than someone who is fearful (or full of fear).

So fear, then, is more than just unbelief.  Fear is allowing information obtained exclusively by the five senses to determine how your soul (ie mind, will and emotions) perceives and, in turn, responds to situations.  This is the opposite of the life of faith to which the justified have been called, according to Hebrews 10:38.  Walking by faith is living from the inside out--that is, the spirit man determining how the soulish man perceives and responds to situations.  According to Hebrews 11:3, this is the way in which the worlds were framed: the seen world being called forth by the unseen world.  Therefore, this same model can help us understand why the waters responded differently to fearless Jesus than fearful Peter.

Our ability to trust in the LORD, according to Proverbs 3:5, is a byproduct of that perfect love.  When GOD dwells in you, how can you not trust (be sure, be confident) in Him?  So, as I'm seeing this, perfect love casts out fear so we may have boldness. This boldness that we're able to receive is the result of us trusting GOD.  If our confidence is in Him, then how can we not be bold?  Whew!  I've NEVER had to give this explanation before...Oh my gosh, Gary...you challenge my understanding of the Word and my sensitivity to the Holy Spirit like no one else.  I think I need some electrolytes now...LOL!

Gary Lee Jonez
Sorry lol But I'm glad I picked ur brain lol I shall mediate on some of the things tonight. Thank U Elton. God Bless u sir : )

Elton Taylor
No problem, brotha... Now to copy and paste all of that into a separate document for my blog. I'm soooo not writing a post for tomorrow behind all of that insight that just came from the throne room. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.