Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Preservation by Silence | The Worshipper's Thought of the Day

Growing up, I believe I was "disciplined" more times for what I SAID than what I DID.  Mind you, I've never been what you might call a foul-mouthed person; however, I had a way of saying things that was quite effective at generating the "wrong" response.  Thanks to the experience of trial and error paving the way for wisdom, maturity has given me a whole new perspective on the power of silence.  Just because I may have something to say doesn't mean it needs to be said, and just because I can say what's on my mind doesn't necessarily mean I should say it.

So, for someone like me, one could easily see how huge of a deal it is to simply say nothing when both the words and the desire to share them are right at the forefront of my mind.  And yes, this grown man even resorts to biting his lip, clinching his jaws shut or putting his hand over his mouth to avoid saying something.  By now, I'm sure you're probably wondering why I would go to such extreme lengths to keep silent, right?  Well, it's quite easy: I know the power of my words and the effect they have on my environment.

I've determined that my ideal atmosphere is one free of drama, yet full of creative energy and possibilities.  Since I've acknowledged that it's my desire to peacefully abide in this atmosphere, I've also committed to doing whatever it takes to foster this kind of environment in my surroundings.  Maintaining my peace and this desired environment motivates me to keep silent, at times, no matter how badly I want to say something.  It's taken me realizing that the very words in my mouth can threaten the maintenance of my ideal atmostphere.  Therefore, instead of making an issue out of how hard it is to keep silent, I've determined it to be more valuable to preserve my ideal atmosphere than to get something off my chest.  This environment ensures I'm in the optimal state of mind to be both effective and productive with my time.  If keeping silent is the cost for maintaining the kind of environment in which I'm destined to prosper, then the value most definitely warrants the sacrifice.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I will remember to shutup before I mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Elton! Silence at the right moment is a 'mature moment'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.