Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Discerning The Contents | The Worshipper's Thought of the Day

I read the following Facebook status on yesterday (07-07-11):
"If everyone is so anti- title and anti-labels, then go into your kitchen cabinet and take all the labels off your can goods. Then decide what you will have for lunch. Was that dog food or beef stew? Titles help us to identify who is who in the Kingdom. NOT EVERYONE WHO CARRIES ONE IS A FALSE PROPHET, AND JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT CHOOSE TO BE IDENTIFIED WITH ONE DOES NOT MAKE YOU MORE HUMBLE. #balanceiskey"
My comment was on this wise: "I totally agree with you. I'm not into titles at all, but I find it very immature when Christians turn little silly things like THIS into bones of contention. It's counterproductive, divides the Body, hinders the manifestation of GOD's power by His Spirit in our midst and causes the world to laugh hysterically at the church. We've certainly got some growing up to do. Thanks for calling our attention to this, my Sister."

The discussion continued and there were over 100 comments in less than 24 hours from the time the status was posted.  I didn't bother to read what others had to say or if anyone expressed any disagreement with my thoughts.  It's just simply not the best use of my time.  Anyone who knows me well understands that I don't debate issues.  I'll share what I believe and, if asked, will explain why I believe it.  I don't do arguments, and I don't force my beliefs on anyone.  The results I obtain are what prove the truth behind my beliefs.  But that's not even the reason why I felt compelled to write this blog...All that was lagniappe.

As the day went on, I began to ponder the illustration used in that Facebook status: "...go into your kitchen cabinet and take all the labels off your can goods.  Then decide what you will have for lunch.  Was that dog food or beef stew?"  So you mean to tell me that you've been eating beef stew all your life and the only way you can tell the difference between it and dog food is the label on the can?  The ability of your five senses to discern something you've eaten on numerous occasions somehow can't likewise discern what is familiar from something you've never had before?  That concerns me, saints.  If you're so familiar with the can's content, then why must a man have to put a label on it for you to identify what's in it?  So instead of relying on your own GOD-given ability to discern, you rely on a man-made label and run the risk of human error?

Let me put it to you all this way, and I'm going to put it the least offensive way I can.  The piece of paper anyone in ministry receives labeling them as "anything" means nothing to me.  I respect the fact that it exists, but it doesn't in any way legitimize the work of ministry to which someone has been called.  GOD gave gifts--that's content, not labels.  Just like I have a physical set of senses to help understand the physical world around me, I've got a set of spiritual senses to understand the spiritual world.  These spiritual senses are what I use to identify the gifts GOD has given to men.  Last time I checked, the Bible did say to try the spirits by the Spirit (1 John 3:24-4:1).  So I respect the titles that people are given by men, but best believe I'll make my own determination concerning its legitimacy by examining the contents (i.e. the gift) with my spiritual senses.  Prayerfully, the contents are consistent with the label.  If not, it's only a matter of time before they expose their own inconsistencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.