Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

To Like Or To Love | 12.29.12


A couple of days ago, I ended up in a conversation about the trials of trying to like difficult people.  We've all encountered those individuals who, for one reason or another, make it really hard for us to dwell peaceably with them.  Whether they be in our families, workplaces or the various organizations in which we're involved, there's always THAT SOMEONE whom we find ourselves going to GOD in prayer about because they repeatedly rub us the wrong way.  Well in that conversation, I shared what my own experiences have taught me; and it's my prayer that these life lessons are helpful to others, like myself, who are endeavoring to be those walking epistles read of men, both glorifying the Father above and pointing lost men to His amazing grace.

What life has taught me is that I'm not supposed to like people but rather love them.  And in order to love people (as GOD does), I have to separate the person from their behavior.  So yes, discernment is certainly in order.  Why?  Because there's an identifiable spirit behind EVERY behavior people exhibit.  But I cannot afford to let the spiritual influences inspiring someone else's negative behavior cause me to treat them in a way that is inconsistent with who I claim to be.  As a matter of fact, it's in situations like these that I have to realize something VERY important: I have authority over all spiritual wickedness.  Therefore, I must choose to wield the power I've been given over spiritual wickedness.

One of the golden nuggets of wisdom I learned as a teenager from my former pastor in New Orleans [Bishop J. Douglas Wiley | Founding Senior Pastor, Life Center Cathedral] and have closely held to my heart all these years is to, "Bind the spirit and pray for the person."  And trust me, when it comes to people, that's exactly what I do.  Ask me if I have any problems out of disagreeable people... They may give other people grief, but I get along with them just fine because I understand and apply wisdom: this fight is not against flesh and blood, and the weapons of our warfare are not carnal. So be encouraged, friends... Don't bother trying to like folk. Just love the hell out of 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.