Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Need For Motivation | 12.27.12


After reading a friend of mine's Facebook status update on yesterday, I started thinking about the need for motivation from others.  In pondering the word "motivation," my mind interestingly enough gravitated towards the word "motive".  Quite intrigued by this, I began to wonder, "Why would I need someone else to provide me a motive for doing anything?"  As a born again believer in whom the Holy Spirit resides, I most certainly do not lack inspiration because my growing sensitivity to the Spirit and how He communicates frequently triggers ideas and visions.  And yes, I'm extremely grateful for this because I have come a long way in that regard.  But back to this motivation thing...  Why is motive such a difficult thing to generate for ourselves?

Since I perceive motive as being connected to the human will, I understand it as being the "why" behind our willingness to do something.  Are we so disconnected from the "why" that we need other people to jump-start our will?  Maybe the culprit here is stubbornness or unbelief on our part?  I'm really wondering, "Why can't we motivate ourselves?"  Have we lost our excitement about what GOD has promised us?  Are our hearts now sickened by the deferment of that for which we have hoped so long?  Better yet, has our desperation become so great that we'll go here, there and everywhere in search of a Word, some kind of sign or maybe a confirmation?  I don't know...

But starting now I want to get reconnected to the "why," just in case my ability to motivate myself is not where it should be...  Father, remind me of what You promised.  I ask You to please show me again the picture of my potential.  This time I will write the vision and make it plain.  I will keep it before me and audibly rehearse (i.e. speak) Your thoughts toward me.  It's time out for me leaning or depending on anyone other than myself for motivation because, Father, You have given me everything I require to establish motive for my actions.  As I increase the time I spend in Your Word and in Your presence, I believe it will become easier to stay motivated despite the fiery trials through which I may go.  Thank You, Father, for this time of reflection and correction.  I appreciate You and love You eternally for being the awesome Dad You've always been and continue to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.