Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Only By Prayer and Fasting (Part 1 of 2) | 02.01.12


It seems something strange is happening with my blogging.  As of late, I am being inspired by my own Facebook status updates.  It's kind of weird, since I tend to get inspiration from other people's status updates and tweets; so bear with me as I adjust to the new thing GOD is doing.  Earlier this week, I posted the following status:
"Elton Taylor believes that there are some things we desire from GOD which require prayer AND fasting.  Sorry, but we just can't praise our way out of EVERYTHING. C'mon, that's just silly..."
One of my goods friends left a comment that got me to thinking: "...you will be amazed at your heightened spiritual connection to really hear from GOD and how revealing scriptures are during that time frame."  I began to consider how fasting and praying COMBINED create a heightened sense of awareness in our spirit man.
In fact, the denying of our flesh enables our spirit man to rise up and increase its dominance over the way we perceive everything around us.  Consequently, we become more sensitive to the unseen realm because our spiritual antennas--if you will--have been adjusted to a whole other frequency.  We are then able to pick up Heaven's broadcast signal more easily, thereby eliminating the doubt that often enters our minds as to whether we REALLY heard from GOD.  It's then that we hear the voice of the Holy Spirit crystal clear.  But that's not even the good part...

The Holy Spirit brought to my attention how fasting and praying connect with praise and worship.  It's amazing how He took me back to my status update:  in  it, I'd said, "Sorry, but we just can't praise our way out of EVERYTHING."  Unfortunately, too many Christians have gotten fat and lazy from a diet of spiritual junk food.  You know those messages filled with ear-tickling cliches that sound oh so sweet, yet lack the nutritional components necessary to promote REAL spiritual growth?  YEP...THOSE!!!  And what are the results, by chance, of such consistent spiritual malnutrition?  Churches filled with undisciplined members possessing little to no power, faith or Word, who--like circus animals--have been trained to dance when they hear the right music.  Oh yes, I said it... And as my mentor Minister Steve Lawrence once said, "When we gather for church, at best, all we do is get high together."

TO BE CONTINUED... Check out Part 2 of "Only By Prayer and Fasting"

5 comments:

  1. Great post brotha! Early last month the Lord spoke to me concerning the same- getting back to a LIFESTYLE of fasting. I'm going to email you some notes I took just two weeks ago about prayer and fasting. But, just to mention one thing here- while studying I noticed that all the significant, great Bible characters had a LIFESTYLE OF PRAYER AND FASTING, from Moses to David to Daniel to Paul and Jesus. In fact, In Jesus' discussion on prayer in Matthew 6, He said "when" not "if" you FAST (verse 16), just as He said "when" not "if" you PRAY (verses 5-7). Therefore, Jesus expected His disciples to fast (of course, after His ascension), just as He expected them to pray. Man, I have three pages of notes to email you. I'm glad you're blogging on this. Also, you're right- no one can praise their way out of everything they encounter. Praise isn't designed to be an escape from what our faith must conquer. Man, I can go on and on- you are one of the few brothers that'll have me commenting all day! Anyway, wonderful post- I look forward to reading tomorrow and commenting of course...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Draper, you're about to turn this into a month long series!!! Man, I'm TOTALLY fired up about this now because its a fundamental component to Kingdom life that goes overlooked. Yet we experience so much defeat because we simply won't follow the blueprint. Thanks so much for the feedback! You're right, we could go on and on all day. LOL!

      Delete
  2. ET yet again I'm loving all these connections. You know I'm in the Heavenlies right NOW! But on a rather serious note, I am learning the significance of prayer and fasting. And just being able to hear GOD and not our own thoughts of what we PERCEIVE to be God is astounding. As stated in your blog this needs to become a lifestyle. Live forever kid......#atthedoorWaitingonPARTII;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more, Quisha! Tapping into the mind of GOD to hear His thoughts is nothing short of astounding. Just imagine if we embraced this as a lifestyle and consistently heard the mind of GOD... WOW!!! We could EXPONENTIALLY advance the Kingdom of GOD here in the Earth.

      Delete
    2. Again at the front door!!! Keep it coming ET!!!!

      Delete

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.