Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Why Momentum Requires Maturity

It recently became clearer to me how maturity affects momentum.  As I read over some notes taken during a recent teaching shared by my good friend William Johnson, I began to reconsider various unmet personal goals from years gone by.  And as I pondered them, the Set Apart (Holy) Spirit began showing me how the maturity I lacked back then killed my momentum.  I lacked the necessary force to drive through the obstacles blocking my path.  Therefore, unable to plow through what stood in my way, I made no further progress towards reaching those goals.

Lately, my thoughts and energy have been consumed with what's next for me.  One of the pivotal statements William made that evening was, "Momentum is necessary for the assignment that lies ahead, because you can't be slowed down in the coming season."  Obstacles will indeed be faced in meeting the demands of assignments to come.  But this time, things must be different!  Immaturity cannot be given the opportunity to zap the zeal that comes with the excitement of starting something fresh.  I have, therefore, committed myself to ensuring that the momentum I start out with is not only sustained but intensifies according to the maturity by which I operate in my work.  In doing so, I am also committed to changing because that's ultimately what maturity requires.

When pursuing a different outcome, staying the same is no longer an option.  Change must occur, and it must be intentional.  And in order to possess the degree of momentum that drives through obstacles, there must be an intentional pursuit of holistic development.  This process of maturation requires personal change, which means I must be held accountable for building my own momentum.  After all, maturity is essentially the willingness to accept responsibility for your own success.  The mantra of maturity pretty much says, "I will not put the responsibility for MY change on someone else."

Building momentum starts with being burdened for change.  The slow down you may be experiencing is most likely due to you not changing.  And the reason why you're NOT changing is because you don't care enough.  The burden for change has yet to weigh heavily enough upon you to make something happen.  Yes, please understand that it's burdened people who make things happen.  They don't just watch stuff happen and talk about what they see.  They feel the weight of what they see and are inspired to change.  They're inspired to mature.  And like a seed fighting its way through the soil to the light above the surface, their momentum increases to bring the transformational development that makes seemingly impossible goals reachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading From The Heart of a Worshipper. Your comments and contributions are greatly appreciated; however, the blogger reserves the right to delete any comments that are inappropriate for display.